It’s time to envision your ideal life.
You’re a young professional and in the last few years your life suddenly got a lot more… complicated.
Over the past decade you went to college, got a job, traveled, moved, switched jobs again… and now you feel like you’re supposed to have it all figured out. You’ve got a lot going on: growing your career, getting married, starting a family, paying off student loans, buying a home, trying to save what you can, and more.
You’re making good money, but can’t decide if it’s better to save for a down payment or pay off your student loans. You want to plan an epic honeymoon, but also save for retirement. You want to talk to someone whom you can relate to and someone who understands you. That’s why we started Gen Y Planning: because we didn’t learn about these things in school and now it’s time. (And because we believe that financial planning isn’t just for old white men.)
What are our core values?
Work from Anywhere – We have an all virtual team and value location independence. We work with clients across the country and allow them to meet with us in the comfort of their own homes at a time that is convenient for them.
Simple First, Sexy Later – We try to simplify things for our clients first rather than overwhelm them with charts and graphs. Always ask: what would make this easy? We will only layer on complexity as needed.
Clients Are the Experts – We co-create financial plans with our clients but the planner only acts as a guide. We work together to make recommendations that are attainable for the client.
Stay Curious – We are committed to asking more questions to better understand our clients’ lives and make more informed recommendations. We are always looking for ways to be better for our clients and ourselves.
How are we different?
We help people use their money to match their values to live incredible lives.
We meet virtually with all our clients so we can be on their team when they need us most.
We have working meetings so our clients feel a sense of accomplishment and encouragement after they talk to us.
We provide a one-page meeting recap after our check in meetings so you can see how much your net worth has grown and have a clear understanding of the action items that came out of our meeting.
Our approach is to help you use your money to match your values so you can live an incredible life!
As an ongoing financial planning client, we’ll provide:
- A 30-minute consultation to assess your current financial situation and walk you through the financial planning process.
- A 60-minute Initial Discovery Meeting via video conferencing, where we talk more in depth about your financial goals and most pressing financial concerns.
- A 60-minute Recommendations Meeting, which includes:
- An easy-to-read summary of your current net worth, goals, action items, and more.
- Recommendations in the following areas: savings targets, debt repayment, investment goals, retirement planning, insurance, estate planning, and tax planning.
- An asset allocation for your current 401(k) or work retirement plan.
- A recommendation of the credit card that fits your needs based on your spending.
- Connections via email to experts in our network (CPAs, estate planning attorneys, insurance agents).
- Two 60-minute check-in meetings per year after initial on-boarding to check your progress and navigate major life events.
- A CFP® team who you can reach out to via email any time as your situation changes.
- Recommendations to other experts in our network such as estate planning attorneys, CPAs, and insurance agents.
- Partner with a Robo-Advisor to streamline investment advice. As an add-on service, Gen Y Planning charges a fee of 0.70% (70 basis points) to manage client assets using Betterment for Advisors. In addition, the platform charges a fee of 0.16% (16 basis points).
If you’re ready for actionable financial planning advice to help you find clarity around your money, then you’ve come to the right place.
It’s time to stop making haphazard decisions about your finances and instead talk to a fee-only CFP® (who will act as a fiduciary) to help you get on track so you can reach multiple financial goals simultaneously!
We’re gearing up to take on new clients in the fall.
Details about ongoing financial planning sessions are also available as a PDF.