We’re growing our team!
Gen Y Planning is a fee-only virtual financial planning firm serving clients in their 20s-40s across the country. We are seeking a self-driven individual to join the team 20-32 hours of virtual work per week in a paraplanning capacity. The faster you develop proficiency, the sooner we’ll be able to delegate more work to you!
Hours may fluctuate depending on seasonality (tax season and open enrollment are busy times for us). This is a 1099 contract position for the first 90 days with the potential to move to a W-2 employee.
The start date is between Jan. 15-Feb. 21. The ideal candidate for this job is resourceful, an exceptional communicator, and organized. Assuring a steady completion of workload in a timely manner and impeccable attention to detail are keys to success in this position.
You will be working alongside the firm owner, Sophia Bera, and our Client Service Associate. This will feel more like an apprenticeship position and you will be mentored by Sophia. Having a small virtual team will give you the opportunity to touch all areas of the financial planning process. This role would qualify for the CFP designation experience requirements. The position will support the team in servicing existing and prospective clients. This role has potential for growth in terms of hours and increased responsibility for the right candidate.
- Review prospective client applications and communicate scheduling processes if qualifications are met.
- Request updates to financial data from clients prior to their scheduled check-in meetings.
- Review client’s updates and transpose the data into internal software and templates prior to the client’s scheduled meeting with their planner.
- Follow up with clients on action items after their check-in meetings
- Sit in on client meetings and send out meeting recaps after the meeting.
- Learn how to prepare financial planning recommendations that are aligned with Gen Y Planning’s philosophy and become Sophia’s second brain.
- Assist with reviewing client’s company benefits during open enrollment periods.
- Work on additional firm projects on an as needed basis on financial interest topics.
- This role will consist of administrative work, financial planning work, client service, and everything in between.
- You’ll know how to update firm documents such as contracts, compliance information, and more.
- Research, interview, and facilitate introductions and coordination with other professionals (CPAs, attorneys, insurance agents, etc.)
- Research client questions and apply your financial knowledge to come up with a great answer.
- Ability to meet via Zoom video conference for a minimum of 3 hours per week with the team, ideally on Monday and Thursday mornings.
You should apply if:
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree
- You have Financial Planning Experience
- You are passionate about Personal Finance
- Bonus Points For AFC®, CFP® coursework or designation
- You’ve taken all of the CFP coursework (even if you haven’t taken or passed the exam yet)
- You can handle the start-up culture and quick changes and pivots.
- You have superior organizational skills and attention to detail.
- You can communicate effectively and with empathy both in written and verbal form.
You should NOT apply if:
- You want a big firm experience (this is a small RIA)
- You hate working alone or working from home (you will be working from home and physically by yourself)
- You require constant supervision or monitoring to do your job (we expect you to take the lead and get stuff done). You will not be micromanaged in this role.
- You are not in this for the long-term (We need someone who plans to stay with us for at least 2 years or longer).
- You want to run your own RIA or financial coaching business on the side (we expect you to represent the firm to the outside world)
- You don’t like wealth or wealthy people or people who desire to build wealth
- You are bad with your own money
- You have a bias towards certain types of people (We serve all kinds of clients and do not tolerate bias, prejudice, or -ism of any kind)
- You expect your compensation structure and company benefits to be on par with a big firm (you will be mentored by Sophia, have lots of flexibility in this role, and you won’t be working insane hours, but if salary & benefits are your top priorities then go work for Vanguard).
Please submit the following to email@example.com by Jan. 2nd with the subject line: 2022 GYP Para-Planner Applicant:
- Your resume
- Cover letter
- A link to your Linkedin profile
- Desired hourly pay range
Record a video using Loom (no more than 10 minutes) on the following:
- What interests you about this position?
- What interests you about Gen Y Planning?
- What skills and experiences do you have that would bring value to this position?
- Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?
- Where is your favorite place you have traveled to and why?